It’s funny how parents have to go from simple pink party bags to more elaborate birthday themes as their kids grow. I, for one, have a little pre-tween approaching a 2-digit birthday in just a couple of years, and the easy cupcake and party bag birthday just doesn’t cut it anymore. This year, I managed to convince her to turn her party bag into a fun craft, and when she saw the adorable outcome, I didn’t have to say it twice. We used two types of candy (candy corn & individually-wrapped chews), which I actually weighed for 24 of her classmates. I prepared the supplies in little DIY baggies, and did a quick demonstration for the big-eyed 7 year olds. Paired with some ices, it was the perfect goodie bag that doubled as a fun craft. I’m sure your kids will enjoy it too!
The best part about this adorable butterfly craft is that it’s easily customizable. If you’re not a fan of cavity-laden candies, feel free to fill them with fresh fruit, crackers, cereal, or nuts. You can also decorate the butterflies to your liking, choosing from different types of card stock and decorations. Whatever you decide, your students, campers, or kids will be thrilled to create this fun and creative edible craft.
What you’ll need:
snack size Ziploc bags (6 1/2″ x 3 1/4″)
candy, cereal, crackers, fruit or nuts
sequins, gems or other decorative accents
1. Fill the Ziploc bag halfway with candy.
2. Seal the bag, pressing out all the extra air as you go.
3. Push the candy to one side of the bag, and place a pipe cleaner in the center.
4. Loop the pipe cleaner around the bag and twist tightly to secure.
5. Open the empty side of the bag and fill with a second type of candy. Close securely.
6. Twist ends of the pipe cleaner around your finger to create swirls.
7. Place a clothes pin over the center of the bag, covering the twisted pipe cleaner.
8. Place glue along the length of the clothes pin and cover with card stock.
9. Decorate the card stock as desired.
NOTE: If you are only using one type of candy, you can fill the bag up all the way and just twist the pipe cleaner around the middle.